One of the most expensive sports venues ever constructed is also one of the biggest stadiums in the United States.
This incredible football temple is the home of two NFL teams from New York and is situated just west of Manhatten in New Jersey.
It’s not that their former home was any less impressive, though. Compared, however, this modern stadium is one of the most amazing arenas in the world.
In this article, we take a closer look at some of the most interesting facts about MetLife Stadium.
1. It’s part of the huge Meadowlands Sports Complex
The Meadowlands Sports Complex is a large sport and entertainment complex located in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
It’s not only home to the Metlife Stadium but is also the site of the Meadowlands Racetrack, which hosts horse racing events.
The complex also includes the Meadowlands Arena, an indoor arena that was used for concerts, sports events, and other large-scale events, but which has been closed.
The Meadowlands Sports Complex is one of the most popular sports and entertainment areas in the New York City area, and that means something.
2. It’s the home of two NFL football teams (and that’s pretty rare)
The MetLife Stadium is the home field of the New York Giants and New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL).
Both teams play their home games at the stadium, and they share the facility. The Giants and Jets are two of the most successful and storied franchises in the NFL, and they have a long history of rivalry and competition.
The MetLife Stadium is known for its electric atmosphere on game days and is one of the most beautiful stadiums in the United States.
Remarkably, there is only one other stadium in the United States that is shared by NFL teams. The SoFi Stadium is a stadium in California that is shared by the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.
3. It replaced the former Giants Stadium which was located just nearby
The previous stadium that the Giants and Jets shared, Giants Stadium, was aging and in need of replacement.
The construction of MetLife Stadium allowed the two teams to continue playing in the New York City area and provided them with a modern facility.
Additionally, the construction of the stadium was seen as a way to boost economic development in the region, and it has become a major venue for sporting events, concerts, and other large-scale events.
There was nothing wrong with the former Giants Stadium, but the newly-constructed arena looks pretty amazing in the aerial image below.
4. It was the most expensive stadium ever built upon completion in 2010
The price tag of this amazing arena was astounding as it cost $1.6 billion to complete between 2007 and 2010. That’s the equivalent of about $2 billion today.
It features all the comfort that you expect from a football stadium but remarkably doesn’t feature a roof.
For $2 billion, one would expect to be seated in a dry area during a tiny day, don’t you think?
5. The stadium can seat 82,500 people during football games
6. The naming rights for the stadium weren’t cheap as well
The stadium is named after MetLife, a leading global provider of insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs.
MetLife has held the naming rights to the stadium since 2011 and signed a 25-year deal after paying a large sum of money to have its name associated with the facility
The naming rights deal allows MetLife to use the stadium’s name and logo in its marketing and advertising efforts, and it provides the company with valuable exposure and brand recognition.
This was only made possible after a deal with Allianz, a Munich-based insurance company, was rejected because of outrage from New York’s Jewish community.
7. It hosted the Super Bowl two years after it was completed
The stadium had only been completed when it was announced that it had been awarded the Super Bowl XLVIII (2013). The Seattle Seahawks beat the Denver Broncos 43-8 during this game.
Other important events that have been held at the stadium include:
- The Copa America Centenario is a prestigious international soccer tournament that was held at the stadium in 2016.
- The CONCACAF Gold Cup was another major international soccer tournament that was held at the stadium in 2013 and 2019.
- Several college football bowl games, including the Pinstripe Bowl and the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
- Many concerts of famous artists such as One Direction, Taylor Swift, Bon Jovi, and the Rolling Stones.
- Two Wrestlemania events in 2013 and 2019 were held at the stadium.
8. The stadium offers some amazing features for fans
These are some of the things you can expect when you plan to visit Metlife Stadium:
- 218 luxury suites offer premium views of the field and other amenities.
- A state-of-the-art sound system and high-definition video screens provide clear and crisp audio and visuals for fans.
- Multiple concourses and seating areas offer plenty of space for fans to move around and enjoy the game.
- Front-row seats are only 50 yards (14 meters) away from the playing field, the shortest distance of any NFL stadium.